A Trip to Yogyakarta

by - 6:08 PM

On December 2-4, 2016, the Special Project team (the team which I work with) had the chance to go for a short getaway to Yogyakarta. So now I want to share most of my journey from Jakarta to Yogyakarta. I was excited because this was the first time I took a train to other province in Indonesia, I really wanted to experience it.

December 2 - The first day

We gathered first at the office and decided to take the train (we rode on Bima executive train) from Jatinegara station due to the chaos near Gambir station (the demonstration).
 


To fulfill my hunger, I decided to go to Seven Eleven and instantly attracted to their onigiri. It was good but the filling was not too generous.
 

Finally, all aboard at 4.30 pm and we sat at the front. My friends on the pic above took the right side, I was on the left.  It was so comfy.
 

The view from my window.

We arrived at about 1.30 am, then we went straight to Punthuk Setumbu to see the sunrise.
 

Again, to fulfill my extremely hungry stomach, at a little kiosk near Punthuk Setumbu I first ordered Energen ginger flavour which was so comforting in the middle of cold winter at dawn, and Indomie was obligatory.
 

Then we went up the hill (in a form of stairs made of stone) to get to the upper part. The efforts paid off, the view was magnificent and calming, and this was the sunrise (I tried to capture it as good as I could). 
 

Next up, Gereja Ayam. It obviously looked sort of like a chicken or a bird maybe. It was quite interesting. I have to tell you that the most challenging part of getting to this place was the path that we had to go through. We literally went through the jungle and had to watch our steps. Thank God it didn't rain that time. When we reached the top floor of the church, the wind was so good we eventually slept in our chairs that time...
 

Finally, late lunch. We stopped at gudeg (traditional Yogya food) place to have gudeg of course. My meal comprised of rice, krecek, shredded chicken, gudeg, sambal and an egg. Delicious... miss it.
 

For the drink, I ordered teh tarik to warm my body a little bit.


Next destination was Ullen Sentalu Museum, a museum that preserves Javanese cultures and kingdom's histories.
 



They displayed such fascinating masks. Each color of the mask has its own meaning. The red ones mean evil, the white ones mean kind heart and the black ones mean eternity.
 

We were told that this jamu (Indonesian traditional drink) was kind of an anti-aging concoction and made from a secret recipe. Believe it or not.
 

The mueseum prepared a spot for photo. We weren't allowed to take pictures of the artifacts inside the several parts of the museum.
 


One of the objects that captured our eyes. We named each statue with yeah our names...
 

We checked in Vila Padi Pakem. It was sooo comfyyy.
 

Our favorite spot for sure!
 


My bedroom which I shared with my friend.
 

The first time I arrived in Yogya, I was craving for this so bad! It's a simple noodle with veggies, shredded chicken and delicious soup.


Then we went to Alun-alun Kota to spend our midnight. We easily attracted to this thing. We picked the one with Hello Kitty due to somebody's request... Don't get deceived, it's a bicycle.
 



This is hype.
 

Unique drink, kopi jos. It's a black coffee with charcoal in it.

See you on the next chapter, A Trip to Yogyakarta part 2!
 


You May Also Like

0 comments